Newly restored Hue palace re-opens to public
Newly restored Hue palace, An Dinh Palace in the former imperial city of Hue, central Vietnam, re-opened to the public on April 22 following the completion of restoration on its wall paintings and decorations.
The work began in June 2002 when Germany sent experts and financed 17,580 EUR to restore six wall paintings at the palace.
In the second phase of the restoration project, Germany invested close to 445,000 EUR to restore 3,610sq.m of wall paintings and decorations.
An Dinh Palace is one of the classic structures of Hue imperial city, built on the northern bank of the An Cuu River under an order from King Dong Khanh (1886-1888) after his accession to the throne.
Later, King Khai Dinh (1916-1925) had it transformed into a palace with an enclosure that covers about 2.5ha and houses numerous architectural structures.
Like other imperial structures in Hue, An Dinh Palace was in need of restoration after nearly 100 years of existence and exposure to repeated wars and harsh weather conditions.
Frescoes were fading and distorted, many wall sections that used to be decorated with sophisticated designs and patterns were covered with lime and dust.
(Source: VNA, URL: http://english.vietnamnet.vn/lifestyle/2008/04/779825/)